The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Euro Adventures: Dutch Edition | The Dining Traveler

Euro Adventures: Dutch Edition



Although being in a long distance relationship is tough, one of the perks is that I get to go to Europe a few times a year.  It’s my third time crossing the ocean in the last year and feel fortunate to have the resources to do so.  This time, I was fortunate to see the Netherlands, Belgium, and France.  Even after 6 years of living in Europe, it still amazes me how different things can be within less than 100 miles in Europe.   My adventure began and ended in The Netherlands, the land of my love.  This post covers the highlights of my time spent in the land of tulips and canals. 
Boathouses on the Canal, Amsterdam
The most recent times I have been to The Netherlands have given me a greater sense of the land and its people (doesn’t hurt I have a very private guide).  Having a Dutchman in my life has opened my eyes to a very diverse country in every sense: terrain, food, and culture.  My journey began in Amsterdam where I landed.  I found an amazing deal via Jetsetter to stay at the Okura Hotel in Amsterdam.  We loved how the hotel is away from the tourist traps of Leidseplein or Centraal Station.  Our room on the 16th floor had a gorgeous view of the city on a hot summer day.  The canal which ran along the hotel dismissed the tourist canal boats for small boats filled with locals having drinks with friends celebrating a rare day of sunshine.  That evening, we had a lovely dinner at the terrace of Serre, one of the restaurants of the Okura.  It was a beautiful warm evening with a late sunset, perfect to begin a lovely, 9-day vacation in Europe. 
Cava on the Beach, Scheveningen
After a lovely day in Amsterdam, we returned to Den Haag, where the Dutchman lives.  I was surprised with how the hot weather was this time of the year. Usually, summer in Northern Europe can be very unpredictable and at times cold.  This was the perfect opportunity to do something I had never done in my years living in Europe: swim the North Sea.  We headed to beach of Scheveningen, the Den Haag seaside neighborhood.  The weather was hot, perfect for a glass of bubbles in the morning before we took a dip in the cold ocean.  Not only was it my first time swimming in the North Sea, but it was my first time doing it naked!  The beach was already crowded at 10am on a Monday.  We decided to move to the nudist section.  It was my first time in the environment, but I felt very safe.  People were minding their own business, reading their books and playing with their children.  I have to admit there was no ogling which cannot be said about “clothed” beaches (I lived in Miami).   What I love about the experience is how free it felt to swim in the open ocean in my natural state.  It was a marvelous connection with nature, glad I had the courage to do it.
Sunset by the Canal, Delft

After a lovely day on the beach, we went to the town of Delft for dinner.  Delft is known for its blue and white pottery, its university, and for its history with the House of Orange (the Dutch royal family).  The architecture is amazing.  Buildings from the 17th and 18th century are kept in pristine condition.  As we strolled alongside the small canals which hug the city, I could not help but to wonder about the lives lived during those times.  We ate at a small restaurant which terrace was a small boat.  As we slowly rocked, we watched people rolling by on their bicycles, young students carrying their case of Heineken , and admired the stillness which existed in the whole scene.  I left the city wanting to return and discover more of its charm.
Dinner with a view, Delft

Every time my Dutchman and I say goodbye, I feel as a piece of me stays with him.  The first days without him are the most difficult.  I am grateful we have the resources to be able to see each other as much as we do and to get to learn new things about each others' culture.  I feel more in tune with The Netherlands every time I visit.  If you do go to this beautiful Kingdom,  please see beyond the inner canals of Amsterdam.

post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION