The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration DC Discovery: PostScript Bar at Loews Madison | The Dining Traveler

DC Discovery: PostScript Bar at Loews Madison

Did You Know?  You Can Get Free Shuttle Service on a Fiat 500 during your Loews Madison Stay
Photo Courtesy of Loews Hotels
Inspired by the Cherry Blossoms, the Loews Madison PostScript bar created the Cherry Blossom Gin Rickey. When I saw the picture on Twitter, I had to try it myself and take a tour of the beautiful Loews Madison Hotel and its PostScript Bar. One of the things I love about the property is that it is everything you expect from classic DC: leather sofas in the lobby, colonial upholstery, and history (Mandela stayed here) but with a modern touch.
Colonial Meets Modern at Loews Madison Guest Rooms
Photo Courtesy of Loews Madison Hotel
As I entered the PostScript Bar on a sunny afternoon, it took me to a place where I imagine bills are negotiated, deals are made, and many Old Fashioned are served.   I was fortunate enough to sample four of the signature cocktails designed by the beverage manager, Aaron Beaver. All different but with the same sophistication and complex taste. My favorite of the tasting was the Madison Mule, the PostScript take on the Moscow Mule, one of my favorite cocktails, which I actually discovered during my time living in Japan.  Aaron gives this classic cocktail a twist by adding peppercorn infused simple syrup. He was kind enough to share the recipe but I highly doubt it will be as delicious in my kitchen as in the PostScript. Here's the recipe below and if you do try it at home, please share the results!
Madison Mule
2oz Vodka, .5oz Lime Juice, 1oz Ginger Beer, 1oz Peppercorn Infused Simple Syrup
Garnished with a Lime Zest and served in a Copper Mug

Alongside the Madison Mule, I had the opportunity to try the beautiful Cherry Blossom Gin Rickey (the one that inspired my visit the Loews). What capture my eye and my palate on this one was the hibiscus simple syrup, it meshed amazingly with the Gin. It was tough to decided between this one and the Madison Mule as my favorites.  I also got to sample The First Lady (a take on the mint julep) and The Lafayette (key ingredient Yellow Chartreuse).  I was taken by the old school charm of the bar and how it is the perfect place to do business, go on a date, or have a nice meetup with friends without the chaos of some of the other DC bars. I like to observe properties from a outsider and as a local and have to say I fell in love with this property from both perspectives.  Now looking forward to going on a date night with the Dutchman for Latin Jazz on a Thursday night.


post signature
Postscript Lounge on Urbanspoon

Share this:

CONVERSATION