The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration My Favorite 10 Apps For Travel | The Dining Traveler

My Favorite 10 Apps For Travel

Thanks to modern technology, traveling has become much easier. Thanks to my T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan, which allows me unlimited data and texting abroad, my Galaxy 5 is at my full disposal without having to troll around for free wi-fi at a restaurant or café. Here are a few apps that have gotten me through international and domestic travel.
Open Table app to find restaurants
Open Table helps me make reservations to memorable meals, like this one at Rural Society
For the foodies:
Open Table: This app I use both here in DC and also when I travel around the US. It's a quick way to make restaurant reservations without having to make a phone call. You can filter the restaurant selection via neighborhood and check reviews from fellow users. I was also happy to see that the app as extended to countries such as Singapore, Germany, United Kingdom, among others.
Urbanspoon: I first discovered this app when I was traveling in Australia. I found some amazing restaurants in Melbourne via this app such as Balancea and Cumulus Inc. I also love how it has a section where you can see blog posts about the restaurants. It currently only serves US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK but I am hoping it expands soon!

XE app for currency exchange during travel
XE Helped me Navigate Through Hungarian Currency

For the International Traveler:
XE Currency Exchange: This app is a must for the international shopper. Sometimes when you're out there, you may think your Euro or your Pound is monopoly money. This app brings you back to reality and shows you the current exchange rate. Also, it ensures you are not getting ripped off by a currency exchange service abroad.
Google Translate:  When I travel, I make it a point to learn the basic phrases in the language. Some come easy to me, some not so much (was struggling in Hungary).  Sometimes the best food is found in places where there may not be many English speakers. The app is not perfect but it will at least get you the right dish!

Best app for travel photo editing
Westin Cancun Mexico

To Chronicle your Adventure:
VSCO: Once I discovered VSCO for photo editing, I never used Instagram filters again! The photos look more finished and professional. The filters have more depth and detail as well.  On the picture above I was able to refine the beautiful colors of the sea with the VSCO Editing tools.
Google Keep: Most phones already have a memo feature but I prefer Google Keep.  As much as I love to handwrite, sometimes I need to take quick notes on the go. I love that I can organize my thoughts on Google Keep whether I'm on the metro, waiting for a bus, or at a café. It helps me document where I ate, what I saw, or what I experienced during a trip. 
Vivino: If you're a wine lover like me, this is an amazing app! No matter where I'm at, I can take a photo of the label of wine that I'm having and find out if they sell it near me. It's also a way to document wines that you don't want to have again!

Best app for finding restaurants when traveling
Schintzel in Vienna

For Travel Tips:
Yelp:  Loving that Yelp has made its way around the world!  A few days ago, we were in Vienna and wanted to go to a local, non touristy restaurant. We went to Yelp and looked at restaurants with mostly local reviewers. We ended up having some great Wiener Schnitzel at a cozy Gasthaus in a residential neighborhood, Gasthaus Rebhuhn.
AFAR App: We love AFAR Magazine since it really makes its readers part of the discovery process instead of a tight group of editors and writers such as other publications. We found a delicious and affordable Burmese restaurant, Rangoon through its guide.
For Travel Info:
TripIt Pro: Are you traveling with people who are coming from different places? Want to keep up with their flight statuses? TripIt is a great app for that since you can consolidate all of the group travel information and track flights. For personal travel is great as it consolidates all of your travel plans to include finding you the best seats, gives you real-time alerts for cancellations, and even tracking your miles.

Best apps for travel
KLM Plane in Amsterdam Airport

Sometimes traveling is about disconnecting and getting in touch with the analog world. However, having a great app to organize your trip also saves you time to create those memories. What is your favorite travel app?

post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION