The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration My Next Travel Channel Star Audition Experience | The Dining Traveler

My Next Travel Channel Star Audition Experience

Very seldom have I been on TV. I recall being interviewed by the local Telemundo station in New York City when there was a power outage at JFK ten years ago and was interviewed by my local TV news crew in Rochester during my high school days (not even going to date myself on that one). My latest videos are cooking tutorials I starred in as the food contributor of Spicy Candy DC blog. Although I love having my picture taken (trait I inherited from my late father), I haven't had many opportunities to be on video. A little road trip to New York that may have the potential to change that:
Travel Channel Star Audition



Last week, I stumbled upon a tweet promoting the Travel Channel Next Travel Channel Star audition in Astoria, Queens. Give that it's only a four hour drive from Washington, DC, I hopped in my car with my travel buddy Carlis and headed to Brooklyn where we spent the night with one of my best friends Jaime (my Chinatown food guide) and the next day off to the Museum of Moving Image in Queens, NY where the auditions were held.

Travel Channel Star Audition
At the audition site
We arrived there around 9:30 am and the auditions began at 10 am. The line was already 20 deep but the weather was gorgeous and I had Carlis there to keep me company as well. At exactly 10 am the doors opened and I got my slot for my audition at 1:20 pm. I logged into my day job with the free wi-fi at the museum and knocked out some work for a little bit. We took a little drive in between to the Socrates Sculpture Park to take pictures for Carlis' blog and also took the time to practice my audition piece.

Next Travel Channel Star

The Travel Channel was looking for candidates to share with them what their travel specialty was, what makes them the next travel channel personality, and what trip made them fall in love with traveling. I shared my travel specialties which are food and short-term travel. I explained that given my combination of my many travels between business, short trips, and living the expat life in over 38 countries made me a great candidate. I shared how I get immersed in local culture and how I try my best to learn how to order food in multiple languages. My defining trip was being stationed in Okinawa, Japan. It was my first time living overseas. It truly opened my heart and my palate to travel.
Travel Channel Star

The time to audition arrived. I stood there in a dark room with bright lights on me and a camera man and a producer. I was a bit nervous but once I started talking it felt natural to share my travel experiences. Afterwards, we treated ourselves to lunch at Tacuba Cantina, right across the museum. We loved the freshly made guacamole at the table and our fish and lobster tacos. We toasted to my future with a glass of cava and soon thereafter we were on our way back home.  I'm grateful I had the opportunity to audition and let's see what the future brings! Which trip made you fall in love with travel?
The Dining Traveler in Thailand
In Thailand, 2007


post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION