The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Food Inspiration for Diner en Blanc | The Dining Traveler

Food Inspiration for Diner en Blanc

When I was invited to Dîner en Blanc, I was fascinated by the whole concept which was created by François Pasquier over 25 years ago when he gathered a few friends and had an all white picnic in Paris. Since then, thousands of people around the world assemble at a secret location to be part of the most chic urban picnic ever created. Carlis from SpicyCandyDC will be my plus one as the Dutchman will be in Amsterdam.  Together, we have been inspired by the event, both by fashion and food. This menu is the perfect mix of flavor, deliciousness, and efficiency. 
Table en Blanc 
We got together last Friday to see if the menu I have planned would not only work for the event but easy to make. When I think of my visits to Paris, one of my most memorable memories is setting a picnic along the Seine.  Something as simple as cheese, pate, caviar and bread become a luxurious affair.  My idea was to have simple items that are delicious, beautiful, and easy to carry.
Main Course: created a salad as the main course of mixed greens, tomatoes, and anchovies.  I topped the salad with shaved pecorino and used oil from the anchovies as a dressing along with a balsamic reduction in a squeeze bottle. I will be taking my mini Peugeot salt and pepper grinders for the salad. Very stylish and expedient! The great thing about this salad is that it can be prepped ahead of time and items carried separately in ziplock containers. 
Side Dish:  I love the idea of pate and caviar to go with the French theme.  I found a great truffle pate at Trader Joe's which comes prepackaged in a nice container and the caviar also had a pretty jar which needs no prepackaging. Make sure to cut the baguette ahead of time and place it in a container. It also makes for a nice platter to share with my neighbors at the table. 
Dessert: I choose a cheese platter since it pairs very nicely with the theme and easy to transport. For a cheese plate, I like to have softer cheese such as brie, goat, and blue cheese. I paired the cheese with simple rice crackers, Virginia Concord grapes, and strawberries.  Jams such as apricot, peach, or orange go great with it  as well. My recommendation is to also prepare ahead of time by placing the cheese in the container and don't forget to pack your cheese knife! Keep your food items cool with an insulated grocery bag that you can find in most supermarkets such as Giant or Whole Foods. 
Decor: As everything has to be white, I really like the idea of adding vintage pieces to the table.  I have vintage champagne coupes which go well with both champagne and wine.  I  also found white mums at Trader Joe's that I placed in a vintage vase.  The details are simple but work well with the theme.  You can also pre-fold your napkins ahead of time.  I found the Pyramid design is the easiest to carry and looks very elegant. 
We're looking forward to this beautiful and unique experience! What do you plan to bring to Diner en Blanc? 

post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION