The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Stay and Play: Kimpton Hotel Topaz | The Dining Traveler

Stay and Play: Kimpton Hotel Topaz

In 2012, I traveled from Brussels to DC for business in that big building across the river in Arlington.  I was looking for a place that will get me to work on time every morning and gave me plenty to see and do on evenings and weekends.  I found that place in Hotel Topaz, a KimptonHotel.  When I decided to write a series on hotels, I could not think of a better place to write about for my first hotel Feature post.  As most frequent travelers, I travel for both business and pleasure but sometimes finding a hotel which satisfies both needs can be quite hard.  This place does both.
My favorite: the Robes at the Kimpton

A few weeks ago, I went for a tour of Hotel Topaz and I was happy to find out that everything was just as good as I left it two years ago.  The hotel is conveniently located near Dupont Circle and it also has great metro and bus connections.  One of the things I remember from my stay was the convenience to wake up early and go for a nice run to the National Mall and come back to a yoga mat in my room to do some exercises.  I was happy to find out now the Yoga Rooms at The Topaz not only have yoga mats, but Gaiam videos and plenty of space to get your stretch on.  Although the hotel doesn’t have a gym, it provides you with a pass to the YMCA nearby, which I loved because I felt it gave me a local experience despite staying at the hotel.  I took a Zumba class on a Saturday morning and conveniently put back on the calories at Shake Shack.
Take a Stroll of the Mall at Night... 

I love the tastefully decorated rooms which make up for the fact the hotel does not have much of a view.  Some may see that as a negative, but I see it as a good motivator to go out in the neighborhood to discover the city.  The hotel deficiently makes you feel at home from free breakfast to complimentary wine happy hour in the late afternoon.  Sometimes it’s hard to find a property which has the perfect balance of work and leisure, but Topaz hits the mark.
Topaz Lobby, Photo by Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Neighborhood tips:  In the summer, go to the Dupont Farmers market on Sundays; Go to Boqueria for happy hour; Shake Shack has a running club on Tuesday evenings; Go next door to Tabard Inn for delicious cocktails; Go to Kramer Books for Brunch 
post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION