The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Hiking at Shenandoah National Park | The Dining Traveler

Hiking at Shenandoah National Park

One of the places I have been planning on visiting since my move to the United States is Shenandoah National Park. As I have mentioned on my previous posts, one of the things I love about Washington, DC is the ability to experience so many different places within a short drive. An hour and half from DC, you are transported to a lush mountainous region in the heart of Virginia. When we arrived at the Skyland Resort, we were taken with the beauty of our surroundings. Upon arrival, we indulged in a Vinter Dinner in which local foods paired with wines from Virginia. After dinner, we were welcomed with a lovely sunset descending on the resort. 
Sunset at Skyland Resort
Sunset at Skyland Resort
We checked into our room at the resort and we loved the cozy rustic feel. As an added bonus, our room had a lovely view of the mountains which surround the park. Before going to bed, I looked up at the sky and was reminded of the infinite stars in the sky as we do not get to see them in the city.
Trails at Shenandoah
We woke up early and loaded on pancakes and coffee at the resort dining room in order to prepare for our hike of the waterfalls. The day was perfect as it was sunny yet slightly cool in the mountains. Although I was a little nervous about a bear encounter as we embarked on the hike, I was excited to see what nature had to offer. Unfortunately, we only saw a very mischievous looking raccoon before we left for our hike to my Dutchman's sadness and to my relief. As we stepped into the trails, we were transported to the sounds of nature: trees swaying, birds singing, river running, and the occasional sounds of humans. It was a whole different world than our lives in DC. 
Waterfalls at Shenandoah
Little Swimming Hole
As we worked our way through the trail, we encountered small and large waterfalls. Like kids climbing on rocks, we worked our way to a small waterfall and discovered a small swimming hole. I was a little bummed that I did not bring my swimsuit because the cold water would have been perfect for the sore muscles. Altogether we hiked around six miles, the painful part is the way back: it was mostly uphill.
On our way back, we stopped by the stables to see the horses as the resort offers horseback trail rides. Although we did not have the opportunity to do it at that time, I would love to do it our next time there. As much as I love the city, I also enjoy taking the time to spend time in nature. For me, not only does it calm me but it inspires my creative process.
post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION