The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration On Location Tour: New York on Film | The Dining Traveler

On Location Tour: New York on Film

It comes to no surprise that New York City is one of the most filmed cities in the world.  From old classics such as "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to modern ones as "Sex and the City", New York always inspires. I've been a frequent traveler to NYC since I was a high school student tagging along with my sister to her buying trips for her boutique and twenty years later, I still see and experience something new every time.

On the Bus of On Location Tours


One of my latest experiences in the city was On Location Tours. The company offers a series of tours based on filming in New York City. Tours range from Sex and the City Tours to TMZ Tour. I am not a big fan of organized tours but this year I'm becoming open to trying new things. I met one of the reps of the On Location Tour at TBEX Travel Blogger Conference and she quickly had me interested in the tour. Here are my impressions on the New York TV and Movie Sites Tour:
Blue Skies at Washington Square Park
Logistics: We met our guide Elyse Brandau near Times Square  for our tour. Elyse is an energetic and beautiful aspiring actress who had more energy on a Sunday morning than our whole group combined. We boarded our bus on the corner of 55th and Broadway. The bus is pretty comfy and nothing like the hop on/hop off buses that I am adverse to. This tour is perfect if you have a short trip to New York City and you want to cover as much ground as possible. 
The Ghostbusters Firehouse
Stops: Elyse shared movie clips that matched the places we drove by.  She shared movie trivia with us and kept us entertained with a plethora of movie facts. We learned that The Plaza Hotel is one of the most filmed buildings in the world and of course "The Way We Were" was referenced. We drove by Central Park where there are too many movie references but the one that stood out was "Elf" (one of our tour guide's favorites). The nice part of the tour is that we had a few stops to include SoHo, Washington Square Park, and the Village to explore the city on our own. During our time in SoHo we sat at the Harney and Sons tea parlor with scones and tea, it's such a beautiful spaced tucked in the madness of the city. I enjoyed the freedom of being able to wander around during a tour and explore on my own. 
Harney and Sons, SoHo


Little Details:  The Dutchman is a huge Seinfeld fan. He was pleasantly surprised when we had a surprise delivery of black and white cookies to the bus. Elyse also played a little Friends trivia with the group (I must admit I don't watch the show). The winner received a really nice gift from the anniversary 'Central Perk cafe' exhibition that was taking place in the city at the time. We actually drove by it, the line to get in was two blocks long! 
The Famous Seinfeld Back and White Cookie
Experience: Highly recommend it and this comes from someone who cringes at the sight of the hop on/off bus. We were in NYC just for the weekend and our agenda was quite limited. I enjoyed having a fun yet efficient tour around all the key spots in New York City. I believe it is the best bet if you're in the city for business or just on a short trip and want to experience what makes New York such a magical city. Tip: Now that it is getting cold in NYC cozy up on the bus for the Holiday Lights and Movie Tour. We're giving up two tickets to the tour! Stay warm while taking in the sights! 

*We received complimentary tickets for the tour. As always, opinions are my own & I only write about experiences I truly enjoy. 
post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION