The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Globetrotting in Style | The Dining Traveler

Globetrotting in Style

This post is the start of a deliciously stylish collaboration with one of my faves, the beautiful Metanoya Webb of Globetrotting Stiletto. She's the best dressed travel blogger out there, I met her at TBEX Cancun in all her glory, rocking a gorgeous maxi dress. I will be exchanging my dining tips on her blog and she will be sharing her globetrotting style with us.  She recently beat the NYC cold and headed to the Florida Keys for some sunshine. All about what she wore and how she packed it:



Love jet-setting, hate packing? You’re not alone. In 2014 I was on a plane, train, bus, or boat, at least once a month—the life of a Globetrotting Stiletto. Sounds great, and it is. But one caveat for the frequent traveler who takes their fashion choices semi-seriously, is packing, re-packing and un-packing those treasured style essentials that you just can’t leave home without. From multiple pairs of stilettos and versatile dresses, to sunglasses, clutches and jewels, we need it all so we take it all.  There’s a science to doing it and I’m here to help.
  
MY TOP 3 GLOBETROTTING FASHION TIPS
No Last-Minute Packing
Two weeks ago, I was invited on a press trip to the Florida Keys. In the thick of winter, traveling to the southernmost portion of the continental United States is a sweet deal. Like many New Yorkers, my rent is unreasonably high and my apartment, small as hell. It took months of meditation for me to embrace the idea of rotating my clothes each season from my closet to a storage unit, but when you live in a well-lit shoebox and clutter is not an option—storage it is. And even if you’re one of the lucky ones who has space to stow away stuff in plastic bins that slide neatly under your bed, packing for a warm-weather getaway during the frigid months takes pulling out and digging through, which is why I advise you do not wait til’ the last minute to do it.
 If you can, start your preliminary packing five days prior to departure. Think about what you’ll be doing while you are away. Poolside lounging? Days and nights out on the town? Sniffing out adventure?






Elegant dining? Once that’s solid, lay out and categorize looks so you can visually see what you’re working with.
Edit, Then Edit Again/ Choose Wisely
A crucial step in the packing process is editing. How many times have you arrived to your destination, looked in your suitcase and thought, ‘OMG I have nothing to wear!’ Of course you have something to wear, you’re staring into a bag full of apparel, but chances are, you rush-packed the night before and traveled with a lot of the wrong things. Edit, then, edit again, this is a sure way to guarantee you choose wisely. When prepping for the Keys, my style decisions were based on climate, itinerary and comfort.  Our days were full: jet-ski tour, deep-sea fishing, dolphin meet and greet, and evenings reserved for group cocktails and dining. I pulled dresses and stilettos for the evening, breezy separates and chic sandals were my go-to during the day. And because I started thinking about my style choices five days prior to departure, organizing head-to-toe looks and taking our daily activities into consideration, I was able to wear virtually everything I traveled with in my carry-on.  Makeup and accessories included.

Pre-Style Looks
Simply put, pre-styling looks makes getting dressed a lot easier once you arrive to your destination. If you can, hang things in a closet, lay out accessories on a dresser, and line shoes up against a wall, this way, stepping into the outfits you put together prior to your arrival will be a breeze.  The evenings at Hawks Caye were a bit chilly, so I made sure to travel with a versatile cardigan that paired well with my evening attire and brought a black blazer along as a back up. I wore the cardigan down and packed the blazer in my suitcase.  

Follow Metanoya on her blog, Globetrotting Stiletto and on the Insta @GTStiletto

Share this:

CONVERSATION