The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration Boulder: Business & Food | The Dining Traveler

Boulder: Business & Food


A few weeks ago, I headed to Boulder, Colorado for a leadership conference for MAES (Mexican American Engineering Society).  Forty years ago, the association started as a small group of Mexican American engineers.  Now, it has thousands of Latinos throughout the United States in different fields of STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) as members.  The Marine Corps sponsored part of the MAES Academy event, a series of leadership courses for college students in STEM programs. I felt humbled to work with such talented young students and talk to them about my experience as a Latina Marine Corps Officer in the technology field.
Millennium Harvest House Boulder
The View from my Room at Millennium Harvest House Boulder
Traveling on business can be limiting as your schedule is packed with events, especially when the conference is held in the hotel you’re staying in.  I always try my best to eat at a local restaurant, talk to locals (even if it means the hotel staff), and see some of the city.  Here are my highlights of my short but lovely trip.
As a Speaker at MAES Academy 
Where I stayed:  I stayed at the Millennium Harvest House Boulder.  The hotel has a very cozy mountain feel with its dark colors and wooden accents. Some of the areas are outdated such as the lobby, breakfast room, and bar but the hotel is currently undergoing a series of renovations to improve these areas.  My room was in the north tower, which had the most gorgeous view of the Rockies. Every morning, I made it a point to wake up early and take in the view for a few minutes. The location was walking distance to shopping and restaurants and a short drive to Pearl Street. Interestingly enough, the hotel has Salsa night on Saturdays and it’s free for guests ($6 for visitors).  I had fun dancing Salsa on my final night at the conference.  A highlight of my stay was the service, from the conference staff to the front desk searching for a car ice scraper for us, everybody went above and beyond.
Waffles at Modmarket
Where I ate:  I kept on hearing about Boulder as a foodie town and was not disappointed.  I was able to have a few meals outside the hotel and it left me hungry for more. Not only was the food great, but the service was superb. My Dining Traveler Highlights:
Modmarket Walking distance from the Millennium Harvest House Boulder, it’s a great spot for breakfast and coffee.  I had whole grain Belgian waffles topped with a delicious apple pear compote.  The compote was not too sweet, which paired perfectly with the maple syrup.  I was having breakfast alone and checking my emails when the manager showed up at my table with a bowl of fresh fruit. The friendliness at Modmarket during my first breakfast in Boulder set my trip to a great start. I was thrilled to see that there was also a Modmarket at the Denver Airport.  I would love to have one in DC!
Coconut Panna Cotta at Oak at Fourteenth



Oak at Fourteenth: I was fortunate to be able to link up with a dear friend Dan who came from Denver to visit.  We headed to Pearl Street to Oak at Fourteenth.  As you walk into the restaurant, you can smell the oak fired oven, admire the pretty picked veggies on mason jars lining up the bar, and see the attractive wait staff in crisp white shirts and jeans.  I had the pulled BBQ pork sandwich, which was served on a crisp baguette with fries. I paired it with a deliciously dark espresso flavored stout.  We concluded our lunch with a piece of the tropics in the mountains: coconut panna cotta, mango sorbet and guava sauce.  The  dessert was as delicious as it was beautiful.  The panna cotta was not overly sweet, it paired perfectly with the mango sorbet and the light guava sauce. You can see the tiny specs of the vanilla bean in the panna cotta, which shows me that the pastry chef did not cut corners.
Pizza at Pizzeria Locale
Pizzeria Locale:   My colleague and I sat at the chef’s table facing the cooks making pizza by hand and delicately entering it in the wood oven.  Lunch was simple:  amatriciana pizza with an extra topping of anchovies. There’s something about the saltines of the anchovies I can't resist.  It also paired very well with the spiciness of the pizza.  I talked my colleague into sharing a saltimbocca con nutella: a soft dough warmed and filled with the glorious hazelnut spread. I spotted one of the cooks having a coffee so I could not help but to order one as well to go with my dessert.  I can't resist a well made cappuccino. 
Cappuccino at Pizzeria Locale 
Although I did not have much time to discover Boulder (and a snowstorm did not help my sightseeing aspirations either) I was convinced that this is a place that I need to return to.  I must say I was taken with the energy of Colorado: the crisp air, the warm people, and the majestic backdrop of the mountains.  Grateful that I get to return in the spring to this gorgeous state.


post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION