The Dining Traveler Blog: Travel and Food Inspiration My Long Haul Flight Essentials | The Dining Traveler

My Long Haul Flight Essentials

I'm writing this post as I embark on a journey back to where my passion for international travel began:  Okinawa, Japan. In order to reach this exotic destination, I have to board a fourteen hour flight to my first stop, Tokyo.  As I prepared for this flight, I reflected on the many transcontinental flights I have taken throughout the years and how I prepare to withstand such journeys.  Sometimes I've been fortunate to have been upgraded to business and others not so (for example Qantas row 50 Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles).  That being said, here are my essentials for long distance travel.
Final Destination: Okinawa
Photo by Okinawa Tourism Board
Electronics:  The night before I depart, I ensure all of my electronics are charged. I also organize my chargers in a zip lock bag in my carry-on.  Luckily, my recent flights have had chargers at my seat, but you can never be sure. I carry my cell phone and my Microsoft Surface. I used to have a laptop and an iPad but love that I can consolidate both items into one light device. The downside of the Surface is lack of storage space, however, I have a one Terabyte removable storage that is lightweight and easy to carry on.  Good headphones are a must as well, they block the noise of a crying baby, a chatty person next to you, and allow you to watch in-flight entertainment much better than the earphones provided.  I'm not that picky when it comes to headphones, but  the Dutchman swears by his Bose noise cancelling headphones. 

Beauty:  A long haul flight sucks the life out you, literally.  You become dehydrated, tired, and jet-lagged.  I always carry a small toiletry bag with me.  First beauty item is water, make sure to keep hydrated throughout your flight.  I also have been carrying my Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight moisture mask, it helps with my dry skin on board.  Having travel sized toiletries is also a lifesaver when your luggage gets lost. 
Never travel without: my tote, flats, and camera
Photo by Julien Garman; Tote, Shoes, and Camera: my own
Comfort:  A fourteen hour flight is hard on the body, especially on a full flight. My must have item is an eye mask. Nothing fancy, I usually use the ones I've been able to snag from my few business class upgrades (you can also find great ones on Amazon for less than $10).  On this flight, I used the eye mask I got from Etihad as a a media gift from the New York Times Travel Show.  Second is a good scarf. Usually flights are pretty cold and I love to use a scarf as an extra blanket. I also recommend to dress in layers as I've also experienced an unexpectedly warm flight.  I always bring a pair of socks with me as well, especially if I’m traveling in flats with bare feet. If you have trouble sleeping on the flight, pack a sleeping aid like melatonin. 

Redundancies:  One of the risks of flying long haul, especially with stops, is the risk of missing luggage.  I actually had that happen on my spring trip to Barcelona. Thankfully, I always carry a spare shirt, socks, and underwear in my carry-on in case I have to spend the night somewhere without my bag.
At destination:  As tempting as it is to take a nap, I recommend to follow along the schedule of the day to get used to your destination as fast as you can. When I lived in Brussels I would force myself to go straight to work upon my early morning arrival. 
In one of my favorite travel outfits
Photo by Julien Garman
It’s fitting that my Louis Vuitton travel tote is called “Never Full” because I am amazed by the amount of things I can fit into that bag.  In the last twelve years, I've spent enough time on transcontinental flights to experience delays, lost luggage, and boredom a little too well!  These are my essentials to make the most of a long flight. What are yours?

post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION